The history of PESA Bydgoszcz is connected with the first railway line reaching Bydgoszcz in 1851. The construction of the station was followed by establishment of Warsztaty Naprawcze Wschodniej Kolei which after transformation are nowadays known as PESA Bydgoszcz SA. The area of Warsztaty has a 1 ha surface and it employed a master and 20 workers.
However, expansion took place soon after and already in 1855 the administrative building was opened. One year later the steam train repair shop, warehouse and car repair depot were constructed. The system changes taking place in Poland in 1989 resulted in almost complete instability of the market, although they also gave rise to other opportunities. The company instantly undertook development actions and began repairs of EMU EN57 already in 1990. On 24th July 1991 ZNTK Bydgoszcz was separated from the PKP structures, forming a separate enterprise. The focus on development was continued under the lead of the independent management. In 1994 the first foreign contract regarding sleeper cars for Lithuania was signed. . In 1995 ZNTK Bydgoszcz patented the non-sparking brake shoe for the rolling stock. The most significant breakthrough took place in 2001 when the company became a private entity and the construction of the railbus named Partner was commenced. An entire series of further constructions was based on this vehicle. The company changes its business name the same year into: Pojazdy Szynowe PESA Bydgoszcz Spółka Akcyjna Holding.